Sunday, February 13, 2011

Debugging Visual Studio 2008 Web Application takes long to launch

When debugging an asp.net web application in VS2008 IDE, i feel it takes 'long' to launch the application because it my app is not big (about six pages).

I am not using the in-built VS web-server, I'm using the standard IIS web-server on my development machine. (That is, on the 'Start Options' dialog, I have set to 'Use custom server' and pointed 'Base URL' to the one I have defined in IIS)

I have not tried to fine-tune any options so I though someone can quickly point what needs to be changed to optmise this process

My machine is a P3 Duo-core and I feel it has sufficient memory for the job :)

  • One thing that's helped improve launch speed for me is to set up a separate AppPool and assign just the application you're trying to debug to that AppPool.

    J Angwenyi : Can you please guide me on how to set up one. That will be grateful
  • I would try turning off Indexing for the "temporary asp.net files" folder (located in your windows dir/microsoft.net/framework/%whatever version% folder).

    From ajh1138
  • have you thought of intsalling service pack 1 (sp1)? It can cause trouble but only in more complicated setups than what yours sounds like. It has performance improvments. sp1 ~ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/products/cc533447.aspx

    if you don't want to go for that there is a hotfix prior to that available here https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=10826

    From dove

0 comments:

Post a Comment