Wednesday, April 6, 2011

How can I install Git to my server which does not have apt-get?

My host is Bluehost. My server is on Linux.

I have tried to follow the tutorial.

From stackoverflow
  • If the machine doesn't have apt-get, then chances are it isn't a Debian or Ubuntu machine, which means that using a tutorial designed for Debian or Ubuntu is unlikely to get you very far.

    Either use the packaged releases for whatever Linux distribution you are running, or build from source.

    David Zaslavsky : +1 for using the builtin package manager for your distro.
  • Get the source from http://git.or.cz/

  • You can quite easily compile it from source, with the usual ./configure && make && sudo make install commands.

    See "How to install git". Specifically the Mac OS X section (which applies to Linux also)

  • Maybe you have the same problem I have that I cannot have an outgoing connection but I can have an incoming connection, that´s why I cannot use apt-get. What I do to move files is just use WinSCP and move the files there and after do whatever I want with them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment